Thursday, September 5, 2013

How About Downton Abbey?


I can honestly say it took some convincing for me to watch this show but boy am I glad I caved!

Based in the early 1920’s, this British period drama has the ability to lure you in alone with the incredible cinematography and specifics of each shot, along with its compelling plot line and characters.  I have watched many television shows but I am confident in saying that this is the most impressive ones I’ve ever seen.


The Cinematography: 
            Taking place in an age almost the exact opposite of todays modern society, its takes a lot of careful, minor detailing to convince us that it takes place in the 1920’s. The wardrobes of each individual depending on their class, the lighting of each room, the types of furniture, appliances, vehicles… You name it.   Its perfect! Or so it seems. I cant say I have literally experienced life back then but it doesn’t resist making me feel as though I have.  The intricacy of shots is one of the reasons this show is so great. For those who have never seen it I encourage you to at least watch the first 15 minutes of Episode 1 to see what I mean! 





 The Storyline: 
If you are looking for a show fast paced, full of action or murderous suspense maybe this isn’t the show for you. However, the plot is so compact and so relative to our past history, including the Titanic and WWII, that I think you will find yourself unable to just turn away.  There is such a range of characters and personalities its inevitable that you will love and hate more than one, and you can just imagine the kind of drama that is create within that aspect as well!





 So like I said before, if you haven’t see the show just give it a try! No matter what you will get something out of it whether it is just a history lesson.

No comments: