Friday, September 13, 2013

Reasons Why I Love Parks and Rec


The beginning of the school year always brings new and different things back into my life. New classes and clubs starting, seeing my friends after the long summer, and a cold. I always see getting sick as an excuse to binge watch Netflix for a few days until I'm feeling better. This time I chose to start watching Parks and Recreation. It seemed as if all of my friends watched this show so I figured, why not? I love a good television sitcom. And now, as I just finish episode 15 of season 3, I completely realize the appeal of the show. I'm basically addicted to it. Here are some of the reasons why I absolutely am in love with this show:

First off, show creators Greg Daniels and Michael Schur came up with such an original concept. They manage to show something as completely mundane as a local government in a small town and make it hysterical, witty, and endearing. Leslie Knope, played by the always laugh-worthy Amy Poehler, just has the most contagiously positive energy and always makes the show memorable along with her other, equally funny costars. There isn't a character that I don't like. They all are so different from each other, but when you put them all together, they are genius.

The show is just so happy. The writers of this show have created something that just leaves the viewer in such a positive spirit. I definitely was in a much better mood after watching this show even though I was feeling under the weather. Knope is just this ball of sunshine that just loves what she does and all of the people around her. This positive energy and pure happiness is so different from any show that I've ever watched because there are literally no sad moments. I never found this constant positivity a detraction to the show. The characters were not flat and the episodes have substance.



I also love the strong female roll in this show. Poehler plays Leslie Knope so perfectly. She is driven, hard-working, smart (though I would say only book-smart), and she is well-respected. I always love a strong female character. The friendship between Leslie and Ann Perkins (Leslie's nurse friend played by Rashida Jones) is another reason why I'm in love with this show. Their friendship is so true. There is no cattiness or competition between the two friends, like many female friends are portrayed on television. They just have a true, almost sisterly bond for each other.

I love this show and I can't wait to watch the next episode right after I post this!

No comments: