Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Neil Hilborn, Man With OCD, Performs Heartbreaking Poem About Falling In Love


So attached above is the video to the poem I brought up in class yesterday and here is the link to the news article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/12/neil-hilborn-ocd-poem_n_3745281.html
The article features some good quotes from Neil and some other links too.

I have actually been making rough outlines of this script for a few weeks now; when I saw this video I knew I would eventually want to tell a similar story.  My thinking (all subject to change of course), is not to tell Neil's specific story, but to tell a very similar story:

I was thinking of telling the story of a young man with OCD, who has severe issues communicating with others.  The film could open with the protagonist's daily routine, which could feature lots of CUs and could show how his OCD would affect his day. The film could involve him meeting the girl very early in the story (I was thinking he has a food service or other form of customer service job, where she frequents).  Unlike Neil, I was thinking our protagonist would have such crippling anxiety that he wouldn't be able to speak to his love interest (allowing us to create a much more creative story involving other forms of communication).  I pictured the film spanning the course of a week in which he manages to get her attention, build a small friendship and in the end cause her to back off.  In one outline I have him working as a barrista in a coffee shop and the only way he communicates to her is by writing notes on her coffee cups.  I've considered him using a handkerchief to touch pretty much everything, as many people with OCD can't handle the concept of germs in every day life.
Most of my ideas feature 4 main characters: Protagonist, Female Lead, Female's Boyfriend, Protagonist's Friend.  I have been considering that the female lead currently has a boyfriend and that he is terrible to our Female Lead and that our Protagonist steps in, perhaps.  I'm thinking our protagonist has one friend, who he knows through public transportation (many people with OCD fear driving).

This does not even really begin the lists of things I have kicking around.  NONE of it is remotely final, I just like to mull ideas for scripts over.  We can start from scratch on this thing, but I wanted to provide some ideas, in case we wanted a jumping off point.  I personally would like to direct or produce this piece, but would be comfortable with other things as well.  For me, I find the life of someone with OCD to be an untold story and one that many people fight through on a daily basis.  I think we can tell a really beautiful story, provided it is accurate to the scientific facts.  Onwards and upwards!

No comments: