Friday, September 6, 2013

Get a Clue


The other night in my apartment, my roommate and I realized that we had finished with our homework before midnight (quite the feat for the two of us). Since we had this unexpected free time, my roommate suggested we watch a little movie called Clue, my roommate's personal favorites. I didn't have super high expectations for the movie, especially since it was a movie based off of the popular board game that the movie was named after. The movie was directed by Jonathan Lynn and it stars a great cast with one of my personal favorites, Tim Curry. In the movie, six strangers are invited to a dinner party by a mysterious guest. Each of the characters, although strangers, share a common link that they are all being blackmailed by a mysterious person. To keep with their anonymity, each person is assigned a code name and that is where the viewer are "clued" into (pun intended) the idea that it is based off of the board game. This part of it was fun because I got to see the interpretation of each of the characters that I grew up playing as. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing what the characters were like and I was quite satisfied by the movie adaptation of the characters. The characters and the actors that they chose just made me laugh! They were great, especially the butler, played by Curry. They were simply witty. Another different aspect of this movie was that it had 3 different endings. This played with the concept that the movie was based off of the game because in the game there could always be different endings. I thought that this was a clever feature of the movie that I had never seen before.


The movie was not the best by any means, but it did have some very memorable lines that cracked me up. I did some research on the movie after I watched it and I found out that Clue is also a cult classic movie. Even though it flopped in theaters when it was released, it is still very much present in pop and cult culture. It still has showings at midnight at select theaters around the country. I would definitely recommend watching this movie, especially if you just want a lighthearted little comedy. It's easy to watch and it's fun (quite the difference from Se7en, which I watched the day earlier). Great movie that'll leave you laughing.

2 comments:

Canon Brownell said...

In high school we adapted the screenplay into a stage production which was actually quite successful. I played the Butler... wow those last few scenes were difficult! hahaha

Morgan Schuman said...

Ha! That's great!