Friday, September 13, 2013

My Favorite Movie of All Time: Forrest Gump


Forrest Gump came out in 1994 when I was just one year old. I didn’t watch it until about 2007. When I saw it I was pleasantly surprised. It was not what I had expected at all. It was full of love, loss, wisdom, and everything someone is mostly to encounter in life. For those who have not seen Forrest Gump stop reading this post and go to Netflix to watch it now! You have to watch Forrest Gump at least once in your lifetime.

The movie follows the life of a simple man named Forrest Gump. We watch him drift through life like a feather from one historical event to another as he struggles to come to terms with destiny and life. It’s not just the storyline that makes this movie great, it’s everything from the dialogue to the shot composition to the spectacular performances by Tom Hanks, Sally Field, and many more.

I think these are some of the greatest shots in the film…




This is my all-time favorite shot. It’s well-composed and a beautiful portrayal of the bond between Forrest and his son.

I think the message of the movie is remarkable. To me the message is that in life happiness is achieved by accepting the challenges and experiences of life as they come along. The message is portrayed in a few of my favorite quotes:

“Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.”

“You have to do the best with what God gave you.” 

“I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze.  But I think maybe it's both.  Maybe both are happening at the same time.”


Forrest Gump has won an Academy Award for best film and is an absolute must see!



No comments: