Monday, March 22, 2010

Visualization paper

Hi everyone. As the resident painter in the class, my Visualization paper is about contemporary art and the use of Photoshop. I am writing a longer paper because I hope to submit it to a few journals. So I don't think I will have it completely done by tomorrow, though it is getting quite long. The artists I am focusing on mainly are Cory Arcangel and Julie Mehretu.  David Hockney and Kevin Appel's work will also be mentioned to a lesser degree. I was wondering if the class had any insight on other artists that could be mentioned to compare or contrast? They do not have to necessarily present their work digitally but they do have to maybe illustrate or demonstate something to do with Photoshop. For example, I'm using an article about Leonardo's presentation drawings to support some of my research. I know our class thinks very out of the box so I hope someone can give me insight for a new angle!

2 comments:

arturo said...

I think some artist that you might have overlooked are...well...Photoshop artists, that use PS as their primary tool.

Also, an artist photographer like Jerry Uelsmann who lives right here. Although he does not use PS and does everything in the darkroom, anyone who does not know, would swear that he uses PS becauses they could not imagine how those pictures could be done otherwise.

Since PS is by and large an image processing tool and its name says it clearly, photographers are artists that maybe you should look at and not only painters.

arturo said...

I forgot to mention one of the most important and renowned artist/photographers, more like a painter with light, that is Pedro Meyer. You can see his work at Pedro Meyer
Explore his books, in particular Traveling in the Digital Age and Truths and Fictions but make sure you look deeper into the books, you will find some extraordinary images (they are quite large scale)