Friday, March 12, 2010

Plexi

The colors I am planning to use for the project are yellow, green, blue, and red.
Unfortunately, I was not counting that Magnum Wood, the supply store, was going to be close for the break, so I can't provide you with an image of the colors I am going to be working with. But here is an image of colored plexi I got from google:
To glue plexi together, you need to sand the edges till they are straight and smooth to create a better bond. If the pieces you are gluing together are already smooth and when put together make perfect contact, you don't have to sand it. Then with a syringe or a weld-on applicator, apply weld-on 3 (liquid) r weld-on 16 (gel). I particular like the liquid one because, if carefully done, the joint is seamless. The gel one is easier to use but it leaves a very rough joint. I usually use a mask to apply the weld-0n, since is quite toxic. Gloves are also recommended.
weld-on applicator

To cut plexi I use an Olfa plexi cutter (I don't know any other tool that can be used by hand). Make sure to cut the plexi on top of a cutting mat or a surface that you don't care damiging. Also, use a straight ruler all the time while cutting. This is very important because if you free hand the cut, the Olfa is most likely to slide and you can seriously cut your hand.
Plexi cutter

1 comment:

Jen Meyerson said...

You may want to talk about the thickness of the plexiglas you are going to be using. As well as the effects different thickness's may have.

Also, it maybe interesting to talk about how different types of lighting may create interesting designs.