Monday, March 1, 2010

Choreography or the dance in the mind

(As my other post finally appeared, I am copying what I tried to post here)

The reading about choreography was interesting. The images that come with it simply marvelous. I always consider dancing as one of the most beautiful forms of art. I find the work of the choreographer between similar the the one of a maestro. But the difference that I usually acknowledge is that the choreographer needs to visualize the art in the mind. Then I think that even the dancers need to be able to represent what the choreographer has in mind and be able to work as a group to demonstrate it. While musicians can simply play together it is rarely possible for dancers to deliver a beautiful results without knowing each other then having a visual conception of the rendering.

One of my favorite dance is Haitian folklore. It is a dance through which what is the true Haitian culture shows in force. Choreographers need to be detailed as many type of Haitian folkore can be differentiated by some movements. I have posted a video of one of our famous choreographer Jean Guy Saintus.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Wicked! That choreography visualization was so interesting to watch. It completely changed how I saw and received the dance. When watching the visualization of the moves it helped to establish relationships and cause and effects in the choreography itself. When the cues where not seen I tended to dissect the dance and just focus on one group or stage left or right, but with the cues I saw the piece as a whole and actually enjoyed it more. Sometimes when you watch a dance, the choreographer's message is not always clear or the correlation between one section and another. This technology helps to cut through that and the "audience" starts to see the dance from a new perspective.