Monday, March 1, 2010

First version of the UVisual

Hello. I deployed the first version of my project (universal visualizer) on the web. Currently it has limited functionality, yet it is possible to use it to fetch images from the flickr and organize them in a sequence of "items".
The page is divided on three sections: top-left, top-right, and bottom-center.
Top-left block has a table of items that can be sorted. Every item may be considered as a "point" in the presentation. When you click the item, the editor of the properties for this item will be open in the top-right block. You can make changes and save them by clicking "update" button. Additionally, in the top-left block you can press the "preview" button to start the "visualization" of the currently selected item. The visualization takes place in the bottom-center block. In the final version there will be an option to run the presentation in the "production" mode, so the user will see only the "visualization" itself - without editors.
Comments and questions are appreciated.

3 comments:

Jeremiah Stanley said...

So, I'm not sure if I'm seeing what you're seeing. When I click on the link it brings up a page with choices of operating systems in colums. This is the copy and paste of what I'm looking at.


Items
# Title Description Source
0
Operating Systems Intro
Operating Systems introduction
flickr
1
Linux
Linux
flickr
2
FreeBSD
FreeBSD
flickr

arturo said...

Yeah, of course you see operating systems, because that is what Anton eats for breakfast! So click on any of those fields and substitute everything on the right window that pops up for somthing more humane:-).

Then click UPDATE and then PREVIEW (on the left window)and enjoy (I would change 1000 for 2000 or 3000 milliseconds to slow it down a bit)
Very cool!

Garrett Strobel said...

Anton I would like to see your source code for this in person so you can point out to me what parts are doing what. I assume you must be using a flikr api. It is the GUI programing that intrigues me as thats something i know very little. All in all I am impressed, largely because i don't know how to do it. For some one with your skill level in programming how difficult is this to accomplish?
Also I know this is still prototyping but maybe now a "hide" function for the top infro fields so after I have selected my random image cues I can hide that info for the presentation