Thursday, January 31, 2008

CSI NY

At the advice of my group, I went ahead and checked out the CSINY island in SL. It was actually a really interesting experience. I would recommend going to one of the orientation islands and checking it out. The island shows you how to collect evidence and attempt to solve crimes. I haven't ventured on to the other islands, but im pretty excited to get some more exploring done. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to investigate before the next class so that I can share some of my experiences.

My group and I will be setting up our own CSI crime scenes for our project so I am sure we will be using some of the ideas from CSINY to help on some issues, atleast I know I will be. I am also hoping that we might be able to get some type of "collection toolbar" like they have on CSINY, however, I don't know too much about programming, but I am hoping to find out more while in this class.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

I'm glad you took a look at the CSI Island. Electric Sheep (the company that created CSI Island) did a lot of work and spent a good bit of time in creating it. I would encourage you to look at what they do there not so much with the idea of "what can we copy?", but instead, with the idea of, "what is missing?", "what can we do better?", and, "what distinguishes what we are doing from what they have done?"

This is really important (not just for your group, but for all groups) because otherwise you are just doing what has already been done, and a critical part of this project is stretching and challenging of each member of your group as you "build" a unique, authentic project.

As for your programming skills, I would suggest that you seek out some free tutorials in LSL. Several resources in that are provided on our resources page, I think. And if anyone else knows of any better ones, please let me know.

Dennis