Thursday, January 17, 2008

Rolling Restarts

I was just trying to get in some SL time for the first time since class, and of course when I try to enjoy it, there is some sort of mandatory restart in SL. When I restarted the application I saw that there was a "Rolling Restart" post. I am wondering how common these are and how long they generally last for? I would imagine they could be pretty annoying if they occur often, and you are in the middle of building something, only to be restarted and realize it gone.

I also wanted to comment on a problem I have been having recently with teleporting to non private islands, including gator nation. I would imagine it could have something to do with the restarts, does anyone know?

P.S. I found an island with boats that looks really interesting, but they cost money, any freebies out there anywhere?

2 comments:

Javahawk said...

You can just make a boat.

Josh

arturo said...

As any computer or network system SL is prone to go poof once in a while. However your creations won't disappear, unless you are making them in a public sandbox or somewhere you are not supposed to. Even then you won't lose them, they will be simply "returned" to you and they will be found in your inventory. So get familiar with the interface.

Oh, and every Wednesday around noon SL goes down for upgrades and maintenance.

You mention a problem with teleporting but don't say what the problem is.

And as Josh says, building it yourself is the best deal! it only costs a little bit of your life, how bad is that for a fancy virtual boat?:-)