Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Emory anyone?

Just a reminder, the Virtual Worlds and New Realities in Commerce, Politics, and Society forum at Emory University in Atlanta is scheduled Monday, February 11, 2008 from 8:30-4:00.

The program is:
A public forum to discuss both research and long-term implications of virtual and real-world interactions with regard to commerce, politics, and society. The four panels to be held are:
1. Evolution of Virtual Worlds
2. Emerging Virtual Institutions both in Business and Politics
3. Mirrored Influence of Virtual and Real-World Elements
4. Possible Futures of Virtual Worlds and Society
For an invitation to this event, contact The Halle Institute.

I've volunteered to try to coordinate any travel for those of you who may want to go. Atlanta is about 5 hours north, so we're probably looking at a Sunday departure, one night there, and return after the forum concludes at 4:00. Anyone interested in attending? Anyone interested in driving? Any recommendations on accommodations? I'm planning on going/driving (can accommodate 4 passengers). Just let me know if you have an interest.
Donna

5 comments:

arturo said...

Hi Donna, I think it is a great idea and I hope a few can go. I myself would be interested although I have to check my schedule when I get back.
Since you mention that you would be willing to coordinate can you give an idea of what it would cost to go (since we would stay a night?) are there special rates given by the organizers like there are in many conventions? Cost of gas? entrance fee? etc. things like that.

Donna Z Davis, Ph.D. said...

Greetings Arturo,
Here's the link to the website, for more details: http://www.halleinstitute.emory.edu/invitations/VirtualWorlds/VirtualWorlds.htm

The hotel they recommend is $189 per night, so depending on how many people want to go and are willing (or not) to share rooms will determine cost of hotel. There are other less expensive hotels along the Interstate. But, before I spend too much time on options, I'd like to hear back from some folks to know whether or not it matters.

There is no registration fee. And, as for gas, I make that trip often and it runs right at about $100 round trip on gas (as high as prices are these days). Again, that could be split by the number of passengers. If I'm on my own, I may impose on friends for a place to stay...

Too bad it's not offered in a virtual meeting place in SL, eh?

Dennis said...

I would be interested in the conference as well.

DMBrown said...

I mentioned this to my wife and she was interested too since we are both active Second Life residents. We will volunteer to drive and can take two passengers with us, if the passengers would be willing to drive north to Lake City and leave their cars in our driveway. We live just off of I-75 and SR 47.

We would like to leave about 2 o'clock on Sunday afternoon so as to be checked into our hotel in time to enjoy a leisurely dinner and a pleasant evening! Donna, I hope you have been able to find a less expensive place for all of us than the $189 a night conference hotel rate.

We look forward to hearing from folks interested in a similar schedule.

Doug

Sophie Weaver said...

I had mentioned yesterday to Dennis that after some budgeting that I was very interested in going. I'm going to email Donna, but if anyone has anymore information I think that this is an opportunity for me that I would like to take.