Monday, January 14, 2008

Another tool for SL Gators

Hey, everyone! Blogs are great, but for reference purposes (finding things later) for me they leave something to be desired. So, in the spirit of "it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness" I went ahead and created a "Gators in Second Life" Google Group for keeping notes for reference, uploading files, etc. I created the group because:

--- I was seeing some really good stuff in the blog that I wanted to remember, but I have a bad memory and couldn't remember what blog post things were in. Also, I was writing lots of notes on things I had seen, things friendly people had told me, etc. It occurred to me that I could make a useful reference for me and make it available to others at the same time.

--- My character's inventory was filling up with a bunch of note cards that were more descriptive than "useful" in-world, and I saw somewhere that too much inventory can slow down your performance. So I thought I would move the info from some of those cards to the group.

--- I couldn't remember who in the class was who in SL ... and these groups have profiles you can fill out. (Although SL avatars have profiles, I thought this would be better because we could put our class-specific interests and whatnot in our profiles, things we might not want to put in our SL profiles.)

--- At some point I am sure we'll have some machinima or snapshots from class members - this will give us a good central place to put them for admiration by all.

I see the group as a secondary collaborative/reference resource to the blog. By all means, let me know how you think it ought to work and how it should complement what we write in the blog.

Click on the link above to join. You can use the same account you used to become a member of this blog - no need to create a new account. Once everyone is in, I'll set it to "private" to keep out spammers. I hope you find it useful!

1 comment:

arturo said...

Gritz, I think is a good idea and in fact I joined the group although like all things computery it refused to let me create a profile. I'll try later.

Like you say a blog is not enough, in fact, nothing is enough. That is why people talk about info overload (or is it overlord?:-) and each one of the tools or gadgets that we try to use to keep track of, what? I don't remember already...

That in itself is another research proposition, to contribute to the glut, of course.

But, yes, I find the group useful and a simple resource to use and collaborate without having to worry about FTP accounts and what not.

After all it is driven by the mighty Googlengine who will become very soon the only computer we will need and use. Hmmm, so maybe IBM chief Thomas Watson famous 1943 declaration: "I think there is a world market...for maybe five computers..." will in fact become true.
See this other link where SUN CTO Papadopolous takes advantage of the infamously famous quote!

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4092