Friday, January 11, 2008

Second Life vs. Real Life

I’m fascinated by the development of SL in relation to real life. SL seems to be a utopian society free of many problems and challenges we face in RL. Obesity seems to have been eliminated. I have yet to see a hospital to treat the sick. I know I’ve slammed my head into the sides of a few building while flying with no adverse affects. I’m not sure if anyone has to work and pay bills.

Then again, things may not be as they seem. I noticed the mention of a SL police blotter in a previous post. Apparently there are also restrictions on banking and gambling indicating there is some level of authoritarian control despite an apparent lack of government. I’ve also been exposed to underground cultures in SL. The other day, I was approached by someone asking if I knew of any BDSM locations within SL. Maybe he inquired because I was wearing a free chainmail shirt I had picked up. Does SL reflect the desires, thoughts and feelings of people who are less likely to express them in real life for fear of being judged and even becoming an outcast?

I wonder to what extent the evolution of SL will ultimately parallel RL. Will we see people trying to take control and establish an SL government? Will opposing groups form and clash over religion, politics, ethics, or other potential divisive matters? With Linden $ being available, will socioeconomic stratification permeate the SL world? Is there a distinct line that separates SL from RL and what happens when the line is crossed? In the end, will SL be virtually the same as RL?

4 comments:

Terapyn said...

I touched on this a little on one of my posts. As an Anthropologist it almost seems an ideal oportunity to see a culture in formation. The behavior online is different from RL, but would it become more like RL overtime?
For instance, I recieved an email that Jill had cleaned up my mess on Gator Nation ISland (Thanks Jill!) Our internet went out last night and I was unable to remove it before I left. I kept thinking that in RL we have people who clean up the messes of others (I tend to be one of those people) and others that leave things were they lie.

I think it would be neat to test the bystander theories that discuss people ignore pleas for help in order to avoid being involved. In Everquest, my hubby and I would often find people "training" low level individuals. This means they would attract a string of hihg level creatures and run them to a low level player so that player would be killed. In those cases, we almost always reported the incident to the admin. In other cases, we'd step in and help the low level player not only kill the monsters, but would ensure they got a portion of the xp as well. In RL, we're the type of people that stop on lonely roads for accident victims rather than simply calling the police, or the night the neighbor and her boyfriend had a physical fight, we stepped in to encourage him to leave. Those are the types of people we are. It extended into our Online realities.
How much, though, does this occur? Can you ever be someone completely different online. Like you mentioned, obesity is a thing of the past - well let me tell ya, my avatar is not as overweight as I am, I get a chance to be skinny in SL and I'm taking it.
I've got 2 theories on this, the first is that we choose to present the best of ourselves, how we'd like to be online where no one can call us on it. My second theory is that we present what we beleive we can get away with because the consequences are less. We can choose to be real jerks online and no one is going to physically hurt us (being tossed out of the virtual world aside). Again, my ramblings for the day. Thanks again, Jill.

arturo said...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Narasi said...

Well looks like I am the 3rd one in the group who posted something along these lines as well. Since I am still a theoretical player I am not that fast on catching on the analogy mentioned. However, I get the idea. But with the use of more and more of technological tools that can be deployed on a large social scale the society tends to get more isolated and independent. Would life in SL mimic this fact? or be the extreme as people would find it less humiliating to be turned down for something they may ask in the virtual world? I am not sure how an avatar will be judged based on his/her behavior in SL but I am sure that most educated avatars would play an socially acceptable role, however those who do not how would a newbie identify the characters traits without first contact? I am still to get my feet wet in SL will learn as I grow more accustomed in this new environment.

Takumi said...

I'm starting to think that everyone is in such great shape since the preferred method of transportation is walking or flying. Despite completing the driving tutorial, I haven't had a chance to drive or see anyone else go by in a vehicle. And, I haven't found any fast food joints.