Tuesday, October 1, 2013

CollegeHumor: Real humor for real people

CollegeHumor is one of the most popular channels on all of YouTube, and for good reason. Like the channel's name suggests, the videos which the group of comedians post mostly pertain to and are directed towards humor for college students. How convenient! We're college students! For those of you who have watched any of CollegeHumor's material, you understand what I mean when I say that the videos are hilarious--most of them, anyway.


What CollegeHumor does that most other YouTube comedy channels don't do is it perfectly displays so many situations that happen oh too often in our everyday lives. Arguing with your smartphone is always a pain, and while the comedy is blown a bit out of proportion, viewers still understand exactly what the actor is feeling, and can just as easily laugh at his pain and suffering.


This video is even a better example of the kind that's made specifically for college students. Have you ever had a terrible roommate? A strange one? A scary one? Luckily, I haven't had to deal with most of the six roommates which are depicted in the video, but I certainly know people who have. I'm sure you do, too. My current roommate is The Ghost. I don't usually see him from when he leaves for class in the morning until he gets home around 11 o'clock at night. There are A LOT of strange people out there (Not saying that my current roommate is strange. He's actually one of my very good friends), many of which you will encounter at some point or another in your life. It may not happen for quite a while, but there's a very good chance that at least one of you will The Zombie.


"POV: Gym" is by far one of the most accurately comedic videos CollegeHumor has ever made. I can sadly but honestly admit that the large majority of occurrences in the video have happened to me while going to the gym. I've told myself I'll start going to the gym every day. I've seen the naked old man in the locker room--there's always one. I've walked past the enormous guys and made some sort of excuse to explain why I'm not as big as them. And yes, I've bumped up the weight on machines to the point of complete ridiculousness to try to impress the girl working out next to me (come on guys, we all have).

CollegeHumor portrays such realistic humor that you can't help but watch it. Yes, 99% of what they do is exaggerated beyond belief, but most topics they cover have, in some way or another, affected you personally. It's really just fun to see that you're not the only one who deals with the things that happen to you.

No comments: