Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Art of the Title

The Art of the Title is a site that collects and documents, well, titles. I really recommend this site as a source of inspiration and information since they have a great compilation of the most important film and television motion graphic title design from all over the world, covering early examples (Saul Bass below) as well as the most recent works like Game of Thrones, Rubicon, TooBig To Fail etc.


could not link the movie itself, click on the LINK below

I really like this title sequence (Catch Me if You Can) which I believe we have seen in class. But this LINK shows a little more about the process of creation for such a sequence which is interesting to study.

Although there are tons of title sequences on the site, many of which I am sure you remember, To Kill A Mockingbird is a particular favorite of mine. I saw the film as a young boy and then recently as an adult (or old man!) and I still love it for its powerful storytelling. It scared me when I first saw it and did not know what the film was about, yet everything that was to come was already present in those 3 minutes.

1 comment:

arturo said...

The site is really excellent and you can spend a long time enjoying title sequences from some of your favorite shows, films and some classic titles as self-contained works of storytelling art. The clip you posted shows of course, some of the work of the designer who started the concept of "motion graphics", Saul Bass, whose influence in the world of design is enormous.