Tuesday, January 12, 2010

M.C. Escher

Earlier today when we were talking about perspective upside down on the table and in the readings, especially with Roy Lichtenstein and the artist on the ladder, I naturally thought of Escher. He is, undoubtedly, the first artist I ever took note of. Waterfall was the first drawing I ever saw and it still holds the same "awesomeness" as it did when I was 11 and I didn't understand a whole lot about perspective and illusion.

If you are not familiar with his work and the other works that were inspired by his, I highly recommend taking a look. Here are some videos and pics I think are worth taking a look at.

Shigeo Fukuda has an interesting collection of sculptures recreating Escher's works, such as Waterfall. There are also several Lego sculptures (these, too) dealing with the same ideas of it.

What's even more exciting is how with all the advancement in technology, we are able to experience Escher's works through new mediums, for example, digital design and animation.

That's what is so great about design...you don't have to "recreate the wheel." Just slap some new rims on it.

No comments: