Wednesday, January 6, 2010

hey


I thought I would take this first post to write about things I am interested in. My work for my BFA was primarily painting. I also have minors in English and Art History. Artists I am interested in include Robert Rauschenberg, Joseph Beuys, and Joseph Albers. Contemporary artists I like include Anslem Kiefer, James Jean, and Jim Houser.

My goal in life is to create powerful artworks. Things that are skillfully handmade do possess a power, a kind of grace. I do not worry that these things will become obsolete in a technologically driven world. Rather, I think technology will always have to look back and use craft if it is ever going to have any kind of permanence. And craft can utilize technology in unique ways. Recently I have seen a lot of work with soft circuits in fabric. These circuits are sewn with conductive thread. Besides looking cool, putting lights on your clothes could be useful at night if you were riding your bike.We as artists must learn to look back at traditional crafts and forward into what technology can offer.

Recently, I joined and helped initiate an artist collective called Afterschool. We are a group of Gainesville artists that have committed themselves to showing in town and giving each other constructive criticism and support. Most of us have graduated with our Bachelor's in Fine Arts. We are united in recognizing the fertile creative ground that Gainesville offers. Our first art show on September 25th was a success due to the level of talent as well as the amount of promotion that was put into it. We have much more to learn. I would like to continue to work with this group and incorporate what I will be learning within the Master's in Digital Arts and Science program.

No comments: