Sunday, January 17, 2010

4 Shades sheet music


I loved the principle of Edward Tufte we've been reading about this week in terms of reducing visual clutter by minimizing the contrasts.


So I tried it and came up with those 4 shades of music lines. This also answered my question why I prefer to buy certain copybooks rather than others, even though the ones I like would have less sheets, be smaller, and perhaps have less ink involved in their actual lines draft... So it's all about the visual "aisance" or comfort. Lighter contrasts create more discretion to give more room for creativity. So that the more focus would be on the actual content rather than the outline (too bold, too intimidating). Even though, for educational purposes, when children learn to write music, I believe it is better to give them bold lines. As beginners, their task is not yet creativity as much as crafting, counting beats, and identifying sounds, etc.


Here are the 4 forms. It took me a huge amount of time to configure this and present it here technically. But WOW I did it! Youpee!
Now if you ask any of your musicians friends which of these shades they prefer or would choose when buying a copybook? I can't anticipate the answer, but this would be another subject study and actually one should survey several composers to form an opinion.

1 comment:

Francesca said...

wow. how was this made?