Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hello World

Hello everyone, I'd like to use this first post to introduce myself and share some of my previous works with you all so that you can get a feeling of where I'm coming from. My name is Garrett. I received my BFA in sculpture and a BA in anthropology in December of 2008 from the University of Florida. Needless to say i am very excited to begin this MA program at digital worlds. My sculptures have tended to be more traditional or installation based but i have experimented in the digital realm. Here are a few of my works:

Monoculture 2007
This interactive installation would rock up
and down releasing corn kernels from vinyl
pods that would fall to an amplified metal
base when viewers would eat corn derived
products (such as doritos and coca-cola)
from a table with a sensor in it.
The piece was an investigation into the
problems facing monocultured crop
supplies and how these processes also
create monocultures of the mind.

Garden 2008
Garden was a collaborative installation
In which myself and co-collaborator
Leslie Tharp transformed the pit in the fine
arts courtyard at UF into a community
garden.
The goal was to take a forgotten and unused
parcel of land and turn it into a productive
space.



Mobjects 2006
In Mobjects I asked various people to
create objects out of clay. I than took
these originals, created molds, and
cast multiples of the objects out of
differing materials ( foam, acrylic,
wax, etc..). I than sold these copies
back to the mob via ebay.
The goal of the work was to explore
the possibility of open source
sculpture. In this instance I hoped
to act as more of a mediator than the
primary generator of the work.

Well that's about all for now. Looking forward to getting to know you all better and hopefully learn from each other.
-Garrett

No comments: