Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hi Everyone. First I would like to thank everyone for their warm wishes, their concerns and their help for the situation going on in Haiti. It's still unbelievable and I would love to have a time machine to go back to 1/12/10 16:52 right before the earthquake as in the movie flashforward. I am trying to hang in there as for the few seconds I was able to talk to my mom she made me promise not to drop out. I did and I will try to do my best.

My project might change as a result of what I am been living and the chaos that people are experiencing. Help is there but there haven't successfully reach people because there is a lack of communication due to language (for instance it was difficult to rescue three people because the Panamean team and the Israelian team couldn't communicate and it was impossible to find a translator speaking spanish and Hebrew.) The same situation prevails for food, water and medical assistance. As coordination appear to be the key, I was thinking of using a Promethean board linked to a GPS that will allow real-time visualization of the dispatch of helping troops and supplies (pretty much as what is offered by gpsrts.ufl.edu). I was thinking of having flags (representing the troops helping) logos of materials they are having in green, these that are about to finish in yellow and supplies that are lacking in red. Such a board would be at the airports thus teams know where to reach. Paths of streets will be colored the same way to attract attention on region that has yet received any help.

I hope this make sense. I have no clue how to do this right now. I will be thinking about it.

Thanks again for all your warm thoughts.

3 comments:

arturo said...

This is an excellent idea that could really make a difference. And you are right in pointing to gpsrts.ufl.edu as a model. This is also a very involved project, technically, but all the tools are actually available, so it is more a problem of design and implementation (easy uh?). I suggest that once you put your thoughts on paper, to get in touch with TransLōc TVS™ (the designers of that system at 226 E. Martin St.
Raleigh, NC 27601 or
Email: info@transloc.com
Phone: (919) 807-1894

I am sure they would be able to help you or guide you in the right direction, perhaps allowing you to tap into some of their own resources. UF in this cases is a great leverage for this type of request, since you would present it as a graduate program project.
Just a thought...:-)

Francesca said...

This sounds like such a cool project. I'll help if you need some.

I can make some graphics!

Irvika Francois said...

Thank you for your input, Mr Sinclair. I hope they will be willing to share :)

Francesca, I'll definitely use your help. Thanks.