Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Gaming in SL

I was wondering if anyone knows how to use SL as a video game. I know that the purpose for this class is to research innovative ways to accomplish things within this virtual world. However, I was wondering if there is any way to battle, race vehicles, or undertake conquests similar to a traditional video game. SL has a lot of characteristics that resemble MMORPGs, and I'm very interested to see if there are ways to similate video game activities through SL.

If anyone has any idea how to do this, please let me know. I am anxious to find out if I can do these types of things when I am not working on my project.

2 comments:

Narasi said...

There are some universities that build games using open source game engines I think Indianan university has done a bit for language learning. However this is pretty programmer intensive.
Again since these games are built for students there is a strong push for non-violence in such games and different themes are used. One game that I had seen was build to help native English speakers with native Spanish speakers and the game was set somewhere in the rain forest where students had to identify several animals in the forest with the help of clues provided by the locals. Every time you identified an animal you get some points and you can use that to buy gear like a Land Rover, camping gear, etc. The natives in the island spoke in Spanish and the students who were exploring spoke in English and they had to understand each other.
So the answer is yes and I think SL is available as open source and one can download it and customize it accordingly if you had some resources. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ghais Issa said...

Maybe a broken sword kinda game, a puzzle adventure kindda game.
Check broken sword at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Sword

I don't think it will be hard to do in secondlife