Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Elevator Pitch

I just started building on Tuesday for my CSI crime scene (white collar crime). I have found it to be a rather enjoyable experience once you get the basics down. At first it was very difficult, but once I had learned how to quickly rotate wiht ctrl and duplicate objects with shift, it became a much easier task. I am also happy to report that there are tons more freebies to find in SL than I ever thought. The first two weeks of class I couldn't find anything of substance, but with better search tecniques I have been finding more and more places. Thankfullly I have been able to find a free house that I am using to make into a corner office NYC style for my white collar crime.

I need some help on my building tho...I wanted to make my corner office scene appear as tho it is an upper floor in a tall building like on the streets of NYC. I have raised my buidling off the ground and built an elevator shaft to reach it. Now I know I could just set up a teleport at the bottom of the shaft and have it teleport to the top, but thats too easy...I need a challenge. Does anyone know if it would be possible to make a platform that would rise and fall when it is touched? I don't know anything about scripting but thought I might be able to find a premade script somewhere, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Schilling

4 comments:

arturo said...

Jarrod, unless you feel brave and have plenty of time I suggest you shop around for a script that does precisely that (they do exist), unless one of your team members or someone else volunteers to script the object. If I find a link to a script shop I will post it, but you can search for that as well.

As to the view from the window you could texture the "glass" with NY backgrounds if you wish. You could even create the illusion of parallax by using alpha channels (transparency masks) to reveal,say, one or two additional city layers so that when you move around it really looks like there is a 3D world outside.

arturo said...

The other option that might be easier and faster to implement would be to create an actual elevator, you open the door, go inside, door closes, you "touch" the floor (penthouse of course:-) and that actually teleports you (after a delay in the script to account for the height). During the delay you can play an animation of the floor numbers going up and include a "bing" sound before the door opens. (you wanted a challenge, right?)

Javahawk said...

It is very simple to create a translation script on touch. Ill discuss it with you in class if you would like, just remind me.

Joshua

chihyu said...

Or if you don't want to write it by yourself, you can simply copy if from the building I've just created. The only thing you have to do is to change the start position and end position so the script will work correctly on your elevator. I have added this script into my building(the FAB building, right across group 5's houses.) You can find the script on the front door.