Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Buidling Update

When I first began buidling in world, it seemed extremely difficult because there were so many ways to manipulate objects/prims. So at first I just started finding free objects and using them for my CSI scene on the Swamp. I quickly found that there was very little customization that could be done using that system. After recieving some help from classmates, online resources, and in world avatars, I quickly learned that buidling wasn't so bad. Especially the fact that you can copy objects you have already made makes it much easier. My one complaint however is the maximum size you can make objects, does anyone know why they put a limitation on this??? I am still having a little trouble piecing objects together to make larger objects with seamless pieces and without overlap. I imagine once I get better at that, I will be on my way to building better and more efficiently.

5 comments:

Javahawk said...

They limit the size of prims for a few reasons... First, prims are atomic elements and weren't really meant to be used by themselves to create an object or scene. Also, there are prim limitations on islands (EG, gator nation island has a limit of 15,000 prims), so if you want more you have to pay for it. Its another way to make money. As far as snapping to a grid goes for better accuracy, do an in world search for "builder box" and you'll find info on what you are looking for =)

arturo said...

144,4,46 is a good resource of freebies, including scripts, anims etc.
You can find more sophisticated building tools at Snow Crash 133,136,34, home of Skidz Partz and Skidz Prims. This are probably the building tools most widely used in SL.

They also hold "live" classes in world, Tuesdays and Saturdays for all skill levels. Check their video tutorials on building with their tools when you visit.

Javahawk said...

I also have a "builders prim" tool I purchased (after filling out a few surveys!), it allows you to select from about 72 pre configured prims of different but similar shapes, I have the ability to allow access for anyone so just let me know if you think this would be helpful to you.

chihyu said...

I found the most accurate way to do that is to type the exact position for the object, yet it's pretty tedious and computing is required. I'll be glad to know if there're other ways that are accurate as well as convenient to make a seamless object.

arturo said...

Chihyu, as I mentioned above I think that Skidz has probably the most popular building tool in SL. Their tool allows for exact and seamless construction. There is a learning curve like in everything, so it is better to start early and watch some of the video tutorials or attend the live tutorials I mentioned where you can ask specific questions related to your project. Go to Snow Crash 133,136,34 and look around. Remember you have a budget for your group.