Monday, February 4, 2008

Ethics of SL Research

I was thinking about the reading for this week - I know, my post is a little late in the game, but keeping up with life is tough these days. The ethics of chatlogging go me thinking about internet ethics in general, not just SL. One of the things that's been drilled into me is that there is no expectation of privacy in any location where other people exist, virtual or otherwise. To me, it would be the same thing as writting down what someone said on thier cell phon while walking in front of me. I wouldn't do it simply because I don't really care who's doing who or who got drunk, or what color the new shirt from the Gap is, but it's my understanding that anything said publically is fair game for research purposes. No, you can't record them and play them for others to see, but is a transcript of chat so different from eavesdropping. I suppose the difference is in the fact that it will be used for research which does require informed consent.
So what's your feelings on this? Is there an expectation of privacy in SL. Even in Anthro we often use data and change the name of the individual for quotation purposes, especially in a public/group setting where expectation of privacy is diminished. Do you feel there should be an expectation of privacy? How do you think this plays into the change in behavior between the human and the avatar?

Well, there are my rambling thoughts, any thoughts on them?

2 comments:

Donna Z Davis, Ph.D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna Z Davis, Ph.D. said...

The issue of privacy in the digital world is in heated debate in the legal and media world. As I've done my own exploring over the past few weeks, I can't help but wonder who I'm really talking to, who knows who I am and what I'm doing, and is any of it being recorded? I can just see a presidential campaign in the next 4-8 years revealing the "scandalous activities" of a presidential hopeful's avatar. You never know who's watching... or who cares. Kind of creeps me out...

At the same time, as others have discussed, it's the anonymity that attracts many people to virtual worlds. They can express themselves without concern of real life consequences (in theory). Does this make it more real... or does it allow greater deception... or both?