Friday, March 21, 2014

The Village

Right before break I sprained my ankle. Because of this I spent 90 percent of my break on the couch catching up on TV and watching movies. One movie that stuck with me was The Village. I had watched this movie once before in english class junior year of high school but I forgot most of it. I decided to watch it again because my brother suggested it. 

The movie has such a strange feel about it. The village these people live in is not like any town we would typically encounter. At first I believe these people didn't know any other life. I was surprised to find that this place only existed for a relatively short time. I was brought into the movie thinking everyone that lived here was born and raised. I was very interested by the elders' reasons for starting this colony. Although the story was very uncomfortable and strange to grasp at first I was so intrigued that I had to continue watching. I'm not sure if I actually enjoyed the movie or if I just needed to know what was going on. 

There were a few parts during the film that didn't add up at first and made you question everything. Like when one of Those We Do Not Speak Of attacked Ivy in the woods after we had just been shown the truth of those creatures. That didn't add up initially but we shortly learn that it had been Noah in a costume. Almost everything was tied up nicely which I appreciated.  
 
One thing I didn't like was when Ivy gets out side of the gates, the guard sees her and doesn't question it as much as I think he should. He asks where she came from and is confused when she says from over the wall. But he doesn't even go looking around in there. He just gets her medicine and sends her on her way. I don't know that part just didn't quite sit with me. 

Overall I thought the movie was well done but I'm not sure if it's one I would watch again. 

No comments: