Friday, March 21, 2014

#GIRLS

Recently, when watching my weekly episodes of my favorite shows, I realized that I tend to watch shows that somehow relate to my life. One of my favorite HBO Shows is Girls. A show that follows the very intimate and very real lives of four twenty-somethings, living in New York City. They deal with internal conflict, as well as social conflict with each other and other supporting roles. The issues demonstrated in the show relates to not only my life, but of the lives of girls within the same generation as my own. I think that this ability to relate is what brings so much love to the show, and makes it so attractive to our generation. Recently found on BuzzFeed:
The questions within this quiz, ask about favorite snacks, pet preference, guilty pleasures, romantic life, style of coffee, etc. The quiz then generates a general response based on the multiple choice answers and posts a picture of the character you are most alike. Charlie was the character I was matched up with.
Not only was I surprised, I was slightly disappointed!I was hoping to be most like Jessa, or Marnie (my two favorite characters). But then the whole concept of this quiz had me thinking. Am I supposed to be relating to only one character?Then it was sunday night. So, I logged into my HBOGO account and I binged watched Season 3 of Girls. I realized, that the girls in this show have multiple aspects of a girls' personality, but divided up into separate people. I think that instead of trying to figure out which character I am most alike, I should be thinking about how these characters are most like me. In this interview on The View, the girls of the show describe the "feelings" of the show the most relatable part.

Even though the characters are going through various situations, as a girl, we can feel for the characters as if they were our friends, or even ourselves because the feelings are so familiar. Lena Dunham does an amazing job in getting her audience to relate to the characters in her show. I think that thats what makes this show so great. Girls has a very real flow to it that makes everything seem like real life, but with a little more drama added to it.


No comments: