Thursday, February 13, 2014

Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013

A lot of people look down on country music. It doesn't fit their taste. They don't care for the Southern twang or the whining and that's fine. It happens however, to be my favorite genre of music. When I first came across the video "Why Country Music was Awful in 2013" I was curious about it. I watched it and while the video does a decent job at showing the similarities between different male sung country songs from 2013, it does not do a good job at explaining why these things make country music "awful"

Country singers have always sung about alcohol, trucks, and pretty girls, and I'm sure that isn't going to change anytime soon. But why is that a bad thing? How is that any different than when rap and hip hop artists sing about girls in the club getting drunk on shots of vodka shaking their "asses"? Why is saying "You got your hands up You’re rocking in my truck You got the radio on You’re singing every song I’m set on cruise control I’m slowly losing hold Of everything I got You’re looking so damn hot" any different than "The way she move her body she might see the Maserati?"

Another thing I don't particularly agree with in this video is the fact that they only mention songs by male country artists. There are so many popular country songs sung by female artists from 2013 that this video doesn't even mention. You can't say that all of the music in a genre from a given year was crap when you're only looking at a portion of the genre.

No comments: