Friday, February 21, 2014

Rotten Tomatoes

The other day my friends and I were sitting around wondering what movie to see. I was amazed the first question that was asked when I proposed a movie was "what did it get on rotten tomatoes?." Its amazing how much this movie review website impacts our decision on going to see a film. Rotten Tomatoes was created in 1998 by a man named Senh Duong. Its name comes from the cliche of audiences throwing rotten tomatoes or vegetables disapproving a poor performance on stage. Senh Duong created the site because he was inspired by Jackie Chan films and wanted to make a website for reviews for his films. The website became a complete success and in 2010 the website was sold to Flixster. Whats so great about the site is that it won't give me the typical film critique, it will cut the crap and tell me if a movie is either good or bad. But because we have become dependent upon this websites review it will hurt the film industry in general. For me, a film has to be a certain percentage for me to actually go and spend money to see it. For me, and other fans of this website it gives films a certain standard to be able to take my money.

No comments: