Friday, February 7, 2014

Composition

Like I said in my last post, I have always been somewhat fascinated by sound design, but the actual composing process and the music design in movies blows me away. My parents could recall me as a child humming the theme song for Indian Jones which was composed by the brilliant John Williams. But as I got older and my musicianship got better, I became more and more intrigued by the composition of music in film and television. 

I recently started a show called Revenge on ABC. The show is about a little girl whose father was framed for a murder he didn't do. When the girl (Emily) grows up, Emily pursues to free her father and serve justice for his fraud. But I wasnt captured by the story, or the acting, I was captivated by the music. The show is composed by Fil Eisler. Fil is a Czech born, raised composer and multi instrumentalist. He has done movies such as My Best Friends Girl, and Redline, but he is most known for the music in the television show Revenge. In his early career Fil was actually hired by Robie Williams who was an ex boy band singer who decided to start a new band with real instruments. Fil was hired as his guitarist. In an interview I watched with Fil, he said that it was the energy that the musicians brought into the studio set the bar for how good music in a television show could be.

Ive noticed while watching the show, the melodic tone really sets the emotion of the entire scene, and this show always has a particular creepy, and haunting soundtrack. For example when one character is walking with a coat and gloves on and he turns off his phone, the music that plays is really creepy with a low cello playing. But when I watched it with no sound the scene just looked like a normal guy walking and checking his phone. It showed how vital the music composition is in a show, because it can make or break it. 

No comments: