Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Interesting Summer B class

There's an upcoming summer B class that I think will be interesting to everyone in this class: it is an interdisciplinary course on online social networks (ie Facebook, MySpace) and related kin (Twitter, etc.) offered out of the College of Jou. & Comm. (OK, I admit I might be biased because I am teaching it, but *I* think it will be interesting. :)

Here's a basic pitch - please see me in class, send me an email, or message me in SL for details.

-----------

There are more than 68 million users of Facebook in the United States, and the majority of those users log in at least once a day. You probably know someone who is 'addicted' to Facebook or MySpace, or that person might be you. You might use "social media" tools a lot every day... but how much do you really think about them? Have you thought about the following questions:

-- how are social media tools changing my relationships?
-- how are social media tools changing the way we communicate?
-- what does it mean to say I have a "digital identity" and how do I "relate to it" and "manage it"?
-- how will social media tools affect my career?
-- are these technologies making my life better or worse?

If you're going to be on campus in the Summer B semester and are looking for an interesting summer course, there's a new undergraduate course that will explore these questions.

JOU 4930 (section 4919 - the section number is important) will meet Monday - Friday from 11am - 12:15pm in Weimer Hall 1076. There are no prerequisites. A good portion of the class work will be done online at different social media websites - class time will be primarily discussion and exploration of different resources related to the class.

Students can email me at: gritz@ufl.edu with questions - I have a preliminary syllabus available. A Facebook page devoted to the class also has been set up.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Narasi said...

Who is teaching this class?
Thanks