Tuesday, April 1, 2008

a few thoughts on non-seq learning

I am sorry I am late in posting my thoughts about this reading. Here are few on my thoughts on the article by LaChapelle.

Designing non-sequential learning – Some time ago I had an opportunity to talk to Dr. Ulmer who was working along these lines on the web environment. He would be a great speaker to have for our class for one of the sessions. Thinking along these lines SL is an environment that defies RL principles in many ways, in other words this is a place where one can let their fantasies run wild. So under those circumstances defining rules of operations could negate the exploratory nature this environment presents. At the same time not having such would lead to chaos. I personally feel a guided approach in learning environments in SL will be a better alternative as opposed to defined rules. I am sure all of us have experience bots in IM’s a more functional BOT that could serve as a peer or a guide in SL will ad some positive experience.

1 comment:

West said...

I strongly believe in guided learning as a method for teaching. When I read about Seymour Papert and his idea of constructionism, I was immediately excited about the potential of this method.

In Papert's studies children used a very basic programming language, LOGO, to execute small computer programs (mostly drawings and stuff).

Students were given a great deal of autonomy in how to design their program, and Papert found that students used their own style in carrying out these assignments.

Another noticeable part is the way students became experts in their own areas and were able to help each other through certain processes. This solidified learning for both students involved.

Second Life offers such potential in this area with students from all over the world can offer help to each other and compare learning styles. I think the teacher as a guide in this process will keep learning from falling into chaos.