Friday, April 12, 2013

Stay

One thing that I enjoy and wish wasn't just stuck to "Intro to Field" are music videos.  I love taking music and interpreting it into a visual story.  I also really enjoy watching music videos.

I've heard Rhianna's new song "Stay" ft. Mikky Ekko on the radio a few times.  It's a very beautiful song, but a very sad song.  I had heard from people, mostly my fellow Tumblr users "you need to see the music video", "it's so depressing", "it's so well done".


Well.  I wouldn't say I "had to see it".  I wouldn't say it was "so well done".  But it definitely was depressing.

It enters in on Rhianna, bare and in a bathtub full of water with a hue.  It was a very powerful entrance. But that's where Rhianna was seen for the entirety of the music video.  The DP nailed every shot, but I would have liked to see her in more than one place.  However, Rhianna's performance in the music video was definitely spot on.  I definitely felt sad after watching her.

I have the same critiques for Mikky Ekko's portion of the music video.  Great shots, great performance, but not a lot of variety.  One thing that jumped out at me was the beautiful lighting job.  Look at it, it's gorgeous....


The contrast from the white of his shirt definitely creates a focal point, and as the light falls off it creates a beautiful dark background.  

Overall, there were really nice parts of this video, but it was just too boring and depressing for my tastes. 

No comments: