Friday, April 5, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful

A few weeks ago I went to see Oz the Great and Powerful. It is a prequel to the amazing Wizard of Oz and tells the story of how Oz came to the world of Oz and became the wizard. I thought the film was very imaginative and appealed to all types of people. It was a movie that anyone can appreciate at any age. One of the coolest things that I liked in the film was how they began with a 4:3 aspect ration and in black and white rather than widescreen and in color. I thought it was very clever how they did that like in the original Wizard of Oz, although it probably wasn't as shocking as seeing a film in color for the first time.



Another thing that I really enjoyed about Oz the Great and Powerful was the animation and special effects. The animators and special effects team did a fantastic job creating the world of Oz. The animated landscapes were incredibly beautiful and I also thought that the flying monkeys were very cool looking. Another place in the film where the special effects team excelled was turing Mila Kunis into the Witch. It was very interesting seeing someone like Mila Kunis play the ugly Wicked Witch of the West.



Overall I thought that Oz the Great and Powerful was a good film but did not live up to and certainly was not better than the original Wizard of Oz. 


No comments: