Friday, November 22, 2013

Wayne's World

Last night I came home trying to do some work but when I came home all my roommate's were watching Wayne's World so I naturally sat down and put off my work further more. I was never passionate about Wayne's World but I remember appreciating it when I saw it a good 6 or 7 years ago so I was curious what I'd think of it now. I don't know if I just haven't changed my humor since middle school or was just enjoying the nostalgia of watching it, but I found myself and my roommates laughing hard at the a lot of the jokes. One of my favorite scenes in that movie is Garth's day dream about approaching the hot girl in the dinner with Jimmy Hendrix's Foxy Lady underneath it.

After that I started thinking about how this movie was different because of how frequently they broke that fourth wall. It was cheesy at times but I still enjoyed it. My favorite time they break the fourth wall is when Wayne, Garth, and Cassandra are in Ben Kane's apartment. Garth Steps back and starts talking about how bad of an idea it was for Wayne to bring Cassandra there. Although he's supposed to be the idiot of the film I realize he pushes the plot forward. In that scene he's going around the apartment showing books of "how to pick up women" and then finds is to do note book that says, "buy television program - Exploit it." I can't tell if it was a cheap or clever way of pushing the story forward.

I think overall, I really liked how they had the characters aware that a movie was being made on them. I think since Wayne and Garth were making a TV show in the movie, it fits to have them aware of the makings of the film. I also really enjoyed how it made fun of Hollywood cliches. Wayne has a scene when he's professing his love to Cassandra where we openly splashes water in his face while "Oscar winning scene" flashes at the bottom of the screen. They do a nice job of transitioning between the realization of the Hollywood cliche back into the storyline with out you even noticing.



No comments: