Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Arcade Fire's Live Music Video


While I was relaxing during my down time between classes, I stumbled upon news from the YouTube Music Awards. I had heard ads about this event, but I never got around to watching it. I discovered, to my surprise, that Arcade Fire had recorded a live music video of their new song "Afterlife". This music video was directed by Spike Jonze, director of films like "Being John Malcovich", "Adaptation.", and "Where the Wild Things Are". 

This music video was a low-budget production that happened right on stage as the band was performing. The video stars Greta Gerwig who plays a woman who has just dealt with a bad breakup. It involves her running through a forest on stage doing a choreographed dance and in the end dancing with a bunch of younger girls. This sounds pretty lame when I describe it so check out the video for more. 


Even though the dancing comes off as mildly cheesy, the video in whole just puts a smile on your face. You are taken into this world within the contents of the video framing, leaving the viewer almost completely unaware of the stage and audience that is just a few feet away. This video is a totally new concept for how music awards can run. A production is made on stage and it is live. It is high-stakes, but it could be the opportunity to create something really special. 

No comments: