Thursday, August 30, 2012

Mission: Watch Movies



Growing up, I had a best friend who's house I basically lived at during the summers and on week-ends. Even as we got into our high school years, we remained eachother's go-to sleep over person. This led to more movie marathons than I can begin to count. However, once a movie was added to our list, it rarely came off, which resulted in watching the same movies twice, three times, or even hundreds of times. Honestly, I can't even tell you how many times I've watched the same 15 Disney movies growing up, and even now. Sometimes these nights would have themes, such as Disney night, Kiera Knightley night (yes, I know she's a terrible actress, no, that doesn't mean I don't know every word to Pride and Prejudice), and even Richard Harris night.

Now this wouldn't be as much of a problem if I watched movies with anyone else. Except, I really don't. Which means I haven't really branched out in terms of movie watching. Especially old movies. The few classic movies I've seen, I've loved, and I would like to watch more, but I just never quite got around to it. And if I did want to try watching something new, more often times than not it would be added to the back end of the movies for the night, and we would fall asleep long before we got to that point.

So this semester I've decided to make it a point to watch two movies a week that I've never seen before. Whether they be classic, new blockbusters, old blockbusters, independents, whatever. If I have time, I'll watch more. I'm also going to keep a running notebook filled with the titles, key characters, little summaries, and interesting production points from each movie so I don't forget which one's which, or what character belongs where. If anyone has suggestions, feel free to send them my way, because unless it's Disney or The Heathers, I probably haven't seen it.

No comments: