Friday, August 31, 2012

Learn From Watching






As I was reading through all of the previous posts from the past few days, I came across Olivia's and definitely understood what she meant by trying to watch new movies as much as you can. Like her, I myself try to watch a decent amount of movies every week and get exposed to different genres and different types of films. The only problem with this is that once I entered Ithaca and got exposed to the world of film (as well as the amount of time one must put into it), I discovered that I had less and less time every week for free time, which was when I would watch my movies. I guess that was a trade off that must be made though. In order to make movies in the future, you have to put in countless 17 hour days on set in the rain, snow, and shine.

Anyways, all of the movies I have ever watched prior to working on sets over the past year had made a huge impact on me and have influenced me in films I made in and outside of production classes here at Ithaca. Whether it be camera angles or movements I see in a hollywood film, or high key lighting I see in some sort of indie film, I can always take away something from almost every movie I see and apply it to my own work. I feel like that is the best way to learn. By watching those who are more experienced than you work in their environment, whatever it may be on set. Cinematographers, gaffers, sound mixers, directors, something can always be learned and the more you learn about the broad range of topics related to filmmaking, the better off you will be.

So now this year I am going to do my best to commit more time to watch any kind of movie that I can in my free time and work on applying anything that I see to my own work and learning from the mistakes of others as well as my own mistakes.

No comments: