Thursday, August 30, 2012

Back in Production Class

While everyone always feels a little disoriented coming back to their classes for the first time after summer break, I didn't expect to be so intimidated by my production classes this semester since I'm a junior. Of course, I've taken production classes before - but not since my freshman year.

Everything I learned in Intro to Field Production and Intro to Media Production were extremely helpful and provided a great foundation for me to begin my studies as a Television-Radio major. I, also, worked on two ICTV shows - one field, and one studio, and though I was only a PA I definitely was able to utilize and build on the things I was learning in my production classes. Of course, at the end of my spring semester freshman year I registered for Television Production and Direction and assumed that the following semester I would sign up for Fiction Field Production (as that was what the old curriculum called for at the time). 

However, things did not go my way. I ended up having to drop Television Production and Direction as certain things in my personal life were preventing me from having a heavy workload. I figured I would put of P and D, since production classes require a lot of attention, until things calmed down. But they didn't and I ended up having to refrain from taking not only P and D and Fiction Field, but from doing any extra curricular activities such as ICTV. Essentially, my focus and my passion for the media industry was put completely on hold for a year. 

Naturally this felt like a huge setback for me, but I'm definitely ready and prepared to get back on the horse, as far as production classes go and taking both of these classes this semester. It felt intimating being reintroduced to all of the technology and to be back in the studio for the first time since I was a freshman. I can't wait to be back at it!
- Melanie Saitta

No comments: