Friday, August 31, 2012

Revisiting a Classic

After attending my first few Park classes of the semester I realized that I quickly needed to get back into the swing of things. After being on campus the previous two weeks at football camp, I felt the need to transition back into academic mode. What better way to do that as TV-R major, then dust off some old films.

On the way to our first away football game earlier this afternoon I popped in a DVD copy of Shawshank Redemption. From the first scene, a flashback of the crime that main character Andy Dufresne committed, I remembered how great this film really is. One specific thing that caught my eye throughout the film was the range that actors Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman showed throughout the film. Robbins starts out as a scared first time inmate, or a "fish." Robbins posture, facial expressions,   and general aura is sullen and beaten down. Throughout the film as Robbin's character Dufresne gains confidence and starts to find his niche behind bars. He proves that his brain is more powerful from other inmates brawn. Morgan Freeman, who plays Red, a longtime inmate also has an extensive character ark as well. The film starts out with Red, a confident salesman behind bars who can attain legal and illegal items from the outside world. He is friendly and cold at the same time, keeping newcomers on their toes. As the film develops so does the relationship between Red and Dufresne. This relationship is closely examined throughout the film which was masterfully directed and written by Frank Darabont. Darabont's depiction of life behind bars gave the inmates humility that an everyday person might not realize. I really enjoyed it even though it was my 5th or 6th time viewing it.

One film down, plenty to go. I look forward to posting in the future.

_Michael Vulcano

No comments: