Friday, August 31, 2012

Learning from Breaking Bad

As a movie and tv enthusiast, I like to look for techniques or ideas that I can implement into my own productions. One of my favorite TV shows is "Breaking Bad". "Breaking Bad" not only has a great story and writing, but the technical achievements in the show are stunning as well. One of the things the show succeeds at is editing and camera work. The editing is used in such a way that it takes advantage of close-ups in crucial moments and points in the dialogue. Watching through season 5, this becomes apparent through repeated viewings. It is not as simple as shot, reverse shot. The editing has a specific rhyme and reason that picks up the beats in the dialogue. This is one of the ways I have learned through watching. I hope to take some of the techniques I've learned from some great productions and to use them in some of what I will possibly make.

No comments: