Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Six Word Story


After class on Wednesday, I began to think more about Hemingway and the six word story. Upon doing a little research, I read that Hemingway’s six word story is a type of flash fiction. Additionally, Hemingway published a collection of flash fiction stories in the form of In Our Time, which I’m now interested in finding and reading. 


As someone who occasionally suffers from writer’s block, the six word story seems like a great way to get one’s thoughts out on the page and help promote creativity and succinctness. I want to practice writing six word stories so I can have some ideas for potential short films I would like to make.


Furthermore, I noticed that a teaser poster for the upcoming Metal Gear Solid game featured a tagline in the form of a six word story imposed over the protagonist, Snake. The use of the six word story on the poster is unique, as most games simply display artwork from the game with the title and a release date. This poster does none of that; instead, it shows the protagonist, the six word story, and the game developer’s logo in the corner. This seems like a fascinating way to generate interest in the game while not revealing too much of the plot, which I think it will leave fans of the series eagerly waiting for more information on the new title.

No comments: