Thursday, January 22, 2015

Boyhood

Out of all of the films that have come out in the past six months, one of my favorites, by far, was Boyhood. The film is a coming-of-age drama, set over a 12 year period from 2002 to 2013, showing the growth of a young boy and his sister into young adulthood.


I was initially drawn to the film because of the concept that it was filmed over a 12 year time span, using the same cast and crew. Director and producer, Richard Linklater, decided that the cast and crew would meet annually and film for a few weeks, over the course of 12 years. He said, "I've long wanted to tell the story of a parent-child relationship that follows a boy from the first through 12th grade and ends with him going off to college. But the dilemma is that kids change so much that it is impossible to cover that much ground. And I am totally ready to adapt the story to whatever he is going through."



Overall, I really enjoyed the film. I thought the acting was very well done, and the storyline stayed true to the current events that they portrayed in the film. I would definitely recommend this film to anyone who enjoys a good coming-of-age tale.


No comments: