Monday, February 15, 2010

Visualizing Social Networks

Visualizing social networks was interesting to read. It is amazing how it evoluted. I am still not sure about the social component organization that I would like to implement for my hymns' project. Well, should there be any social interaction in the first place between users? I don't know how, and whether or not, there should be a social interaction. Also I don't want to set unrealistic goal, for I would like to finish this project by the end of the semester, which is pretty close. So any ideas about the social feature are welcome. Also, how to implement them, if you give me ideas, would be great.

3 comments:

arturo said...

I think it can be simply a way to maybe share experiences, questions etc. Maybe in a Wiki format:
WIKI

Or check the NING network, where you can create your own dedicated forum for your project where people can exchange info, tips and resources that way.

It is very easy to setup and it is made for projects such as yours. NING was created by Marc Andreessen, the guy that invented the first widely used Web Browser called MOSAIC.

Brittany said...

I will admit the creation of these social networks...the math and the algorithms is completely over my head and frankly not an area of interest for me. However, I also admit that these visual representations are quite useful. This is not exactly a social network but when I made a graphical site map for my website project design, it really helped me to organize and clarify my thought patterns. In the article Freeman gives and dynamic example of a visualization in figure 30A used in various web browsers. Once I was able to interact with it and move it around, I instantly became more interested in the article. It reminds me trying to learn PD and Isadora. To me, pd isn't visually stimulating. Isadora, on the other hand, is not only more intuitive but more visually pleasing. Which just backs up the notion of visualization in practice.

arturo said...

Actually your graphical site map (or architecture) is in fact an algorithm, the same way a cooking recipe is an algorithm. Just a sequence of steps to get somewhere. And well, math is just the way things are generated in this worlds I guess:-) so we must live with the fact that 2+2=a etc.

PD BTW can be very visually stimulating (like the example in Fig 30A) but you have to work a little harder because it is a lower level program, meaning closer to the core, and ISADORA puts a UI in between user and process....
just ranting because I'm sick, darn!