Monday, February 15, 2010

information anxiety collage visualizer




I realize now that working with the information stream that is twitter is not very appealing to me. It's a little too single-faceted. I don't think it is the type of data that desires to be made sense of. What is appealing is working with Processing and making use of it's ease and design for artists. Getting very good with the Processing language is one of my major goals in life. What is appealing about twitter is it's properties of dissemination. I would like to get better at explaining that both with traditional media and new media.

Information anxiety is a theme in my own artwork and I have perhaps thousands of sketches and no practical way to compile them or analyze them. In a way, these sketches are like twitter for my brain! They have iconography in them, often include text, and are diary-like.

I would like to create a program/softeware/application that can organize and reconfigure my own artwork, sort of like a new collage tool. I want to create new work from my own little crazy sketches. I want it to be more intuitive and easy to use, Perhaps one day another artist would want to work this way with their own artwork. Or, I could easily collaborate with other artists by combining my artwork with theirs.

This is an evolution of my first project that I would like to become a multi-semester endeavor. I would eventually like it to be projected in the REVE aas well as digital prints made. I would like to learn how I can make generative art utilizing these new media techniques while still maintaining my ideas of aesthetics. Also, twitter and other social media techniques could be implemented as I now know how to interface twitter with Processing.

The painting above is by Julie Mehretu, not me!

1 comment:

Ashu said...

I really like Julie Mehretu's work.
You might have seen this:
http://www.wcma.org/press/08/BIG_IMAGES/08_Mehretu/Stadia_II_med.jpg
It depicts vastness of space, a four dimensional piece of space and motion, in 3D space, further pushed to two dimensions! Representing vastness of space and motion. Amazing artist. Some say she is modern day Duchamp! She also won MacArthur Fellowship- the genius grant.