Monday, February 11, 2013

Groovy.

I'm a deadite and I don't care who knows... Well, actually... Most people don't know what that means so um... Let me explain. Tonight I watched Evil Dead II and it doesn't matter how many times I've seen that movie, it will still be one of my favorites.

Evil Dead II is a reboot/sequel to The Evil Dead which stars Bruce Campbell and directed by Sam Raimi. This is a picture almost 30 years old but this is one of my favorites of the two best friends.



You may know Sam Raimi as the director of the upcoming movie, Oz staring James Franco. And hopefully (fingers crossed) you know Bruce Campbell from Hercules? Oh how about... Burn Notice? He's the guy that always wears the Hawaiian shirts. 

Okay, so Evil Dead II is when Ash (Bruce) and his girlfriend stay at an abandoned cabin for the weekend in the woods. He listens to a tape recorder there and he basically unleashes the evils from centuries of hibernation. So, zombie things attack and in the end Ash has to cut his hand off and attaches a chainsaw to the hand stub and save the day. It's pretty badass. (If you've ever seen The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, a guy with a chainsaw hand should seem familiar. Remember this guy?

That's Hoss Delgado. A reference to Kurt Russel's character from Escape From New York, Bruce Campbell's character from Evil Dead and his name is an ode to the comic book character Gangbuster.)

This movie series is a cult classic- literally, it's basically like a cult. Deadites live for these movies. My family and I use Bruce's brilliant one-liners in an everyday conversation. (We could be talking just about anything and if the conversation allows it, someone will just say, "Hail to the King, baby." like it made sense to the conversation.) There are horror conventions and when Bruce Campbell is there, you know it's the place to be. 


Now, a lot of us Deadites got really really really really really really really really really pissed off when they decided to remake the first movie. It looks terrifying as hell but I was so nervous as to whether I was going to see it out not. Luckily, my main man Bruce and Sam are producers on the movie and are fully behind the film. So thankfully, soon, I'll be able to be scared shitless for days on end after seeing the remake.

Oh Bruce. You worked so hard and did your own stunts so directors that weren't his best friend would hire him in action films. You are the #1 B-Movie Actor and always will be. Any man who defeats the Deadites in Army of Darkness and fights with his own hand will always on the top of my list.


Oh, also. The day before I came to campus from winter break, I tweeted a picture to Bruce Campbell stating that I was organizing all of my Army of Darkness Comics and not even a minute later, Bruce Campbell tweeted back. I squealed and ran down to my parents room and showed my half asleep mom and dad the best moment of my life.



 Bruce. I shall always have a crush on you for as long as we both shall live... Even though you are old enough to be my father, but that's besides the point.





No comments: