Friday, February 8, 2013

Does Anyone Even Watch This Show?

After recently getting a Showtime account, I was able to explore all of the wonderful TV shows and movies offered online and on the channel.  I have already watched all of Homeland so it was time for me to start another Showtime series that I could become addicted to.  That's when I decided to start watching Episodes.  Episodes stars one of my favorite comedic actors Matt LeBlanc of Friends fame.  The show even won him a Golden Globe last year for best actor in a comedy.  But after watching a few episodes, I realized....I think I might be the only person in the world who watches this show.  I have never heard anyone talk about it, nor have I seen any advertisements for it on other sites like Hulu, or TV Guide.  Could this be a diamond in the rough or is there a reason for its lack of viewership?




Frankly, I love the show.  It's a smart comedy about two British TV writers who move to L.A. and are forced to "Americanize" their show.  Episodes is unique in the fact that it is an American and British comedy, premiering on Showtime as well as on BBC 2.  The show was created by Jeffry Klarik (co-producer of Mad About You, and The Class) and his business and life partner (how cute!!) David Crane (co-creator of Friends).  I think the two have created an extremely witty show with a funny ensemble.  To be frank I probably would not have started watching this show if Matt LeBlanc and David Crane were not involved, because Friends is my all time favorite show.




Episodes follows around a married couple who have won yet another BAFTA award for their TV show about a headmaster at a boys boarding school.  A snobby, pompous LA producer has them come out to LA to produce the show, much to their dismay.  After casting Matt LeBlanc (who plays himself) as the headmaster things go downhill after everyone starts changing their show.  They change the plot of the show, and the cast and characters and chaos ensues.  Episodes has been renewed for a 3rd season, and I can't wait to continue watching the rest of the series on Showtime, hoping that someone else in the world will watch it with me and enjoy the quirky characters and silly plots just as much as I do.  I think one of the reasons I enjoy it so much is because it reminds me of what it's like to produce my own sitcom (Boys of 213 on ICTV check it out!) and I can relate to the producers in many ways.

No comments: