Friday, February 1, 2013

Based Off a True Story

This week, as usual, I was scrolling through my Netflix to try to find something to keep me entertained.  I clicked on the film The Freedom Writers directed by Richard LaGravenese.  I had heard things about The Freedom Writers through my mom, who loves this movie.  So, I decided to watch it.


The story told in The Freedom Writers is not a light one.  There is power in the words of this story, and the crazy part is that it is based off of a true story.  I always feel like there is pressure from recreating a true story, especially if it is as emotional as this one.  

Two things that really stood out to me were the writing and the acting.  The story was eloquently written.  The writing was based off of the diaries of student's emotional lives and battles.  But what is a story without actors to tell it?  The acting in this film was incredible as well.  Hilary Swank played the role of the ambitious Erin Gruwell, and nailed it.  But it was the chemistry between her and the many actors that played her group of gang ridden students that made this movie so powerful.

Aesthetically, this film was not outstanding, but at the same time not poorly done.   Applying what we learned in class, I saw many shots where the frame was based around the Golden Ratio.  See? Here's just one example right here.

Another thing I noticed was that the camera would be filming handheld in times of high intensity or high emotions.  In times where there was less action or emotion, the camera was filming on a steady surface, whether that be a dolly or a tripod.  Nothing about this films aesthetics was poor, but nothing stood out, either.  I can understand that though, since The Freedom Writers is a movie that is highly dependent on the story and the way the actors tell it. 



No comments: