Thursday, February 7, 2013

Too critical?

I have always been a fan of Disney movies.  Always.  I still go to see Disney and Pixar movies in theaters, and still feel the same amount of joy I did when I was a little girl.  I contribute this feeling to two things - 1) me being such a child at heart and 2) because Disney is doing something right.  I came across a blog that brought up a lot of points that I didn't necessarily agree with, but at the same time sort of understood.
"I want my children to be able to experience the same movies, however, as an informed adult I am not sure I want to support a company that produces racism, sexism, violence and many other politically incorrect issues."

*Sigh* Alright... first of all, we need to consider the time that most of these movies were created.  Most classic Disney movies came out decades ago, where these issues of racism, sexism, and violence were relevant to the time.  Not to mention, the "offensive" characters are usually the villains.  A huge controversy began over the line "Where they cut off your ears if they don't like your face" from Aladdin.  I have seen Aladdin many times on VHS (aka BEFORE the line was changed to "where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense") and never did I find that line offensive until I actually read about it and became and informed adult.  Five year old Courtney didn't even notice this line, she was more concerned on the music and the color and the animation.  

"Perhaps the most offensive and ignorant part of any movie is simply the size and body image of Ariel in "The Little Mermaid". Her figure is completely unrealistic and the it also gives the message that if a girl is beautiful, skinny, and has large breasts and long flowing hair she can date any man no matter what her personality may be."

Sure, Disney favors the attractive.  I have never watched a Disney film with an ugly princess or where the prince wasn't chiseled to perfection.  But let's open our eyes- that's media.  Media favors the "attractive".  The focus in these films is never about how the characters look, but what they achieve.  It's their attitude and their perseverance that takes them far, not their good looks. 

"Even though I loved Disney movies as a child and would not give up watching them even because of all the politically incorrect and inappropriate messages I still think they are valuable to children's imagination and fantasies. I will have to grapple with the idea of showing them to my children, and it will be a difficult decision"

Alright.  Take a deep breath.  They're not that bad.  Most children don't comprehend the more "adult" based content in these movies.  I know I didn't.  None of my opinons on races, politics, or sex stem from Disney films.  Not to mention, Disney is improving their variety.  Example: "The Princess and the Frog" features an African American princess... see?  They're making strides.

Media is media.  It's always going to be skewed.  

No comments: