Thursday, April 7, 2016

PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE THIS MATTER SERIOUSLY

Look at this bird:
Looks like a normal bird, right? I mean ya its pretty cute in what not but what is so special about it? What you are looking at is the New Zealand Dotterel, and endangered species of bird only found in certain parts of New Zealand. 

The reason I bring this bird up is because recently I was watching Taylor Swift's music video "Out of the Woods" (if you haven't seen it, check it out)  http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/75580001/Taylor-Swifts-new-music-video-Out-Of-The-Woods-showcases-New-Zealand
and I realized that the location where most of the filming takes place is very similar to that of where the Dotterel roost. I became a little concerned that maybe Taylor Swift and her film crew perhaps intruded on this species' home so I decided to do a little research, and it turns out I was exactly right.

http://www.nme.com/news/taylor-swift/89978
The above link is an article that I stumbled upon while doing some research that claims that Taylor Swift's film crew disrupted the Dotterel's natural habitat and harmed some of the birds. The crew supposedly drove over a dozen vehicles onto the beaches where they roost and potentially murdered some of the birds. Now I personally am a firm believer that a filmmaker must do whatever it takes to get the perfect shot. But when it comes to endangered birds, thats where I draw the line. No birds life is worth a flawless dolly, especially that of a Dotterels. 
I do enjoy Taylor Swift and I think the music video is a beautiful homage to New Zealand's natural landscapes, but there are certain things that I just can't turn a blind eye to.
Please share this.

No comments: